The Question
I was starting to formulate an answer to "the question" knowing that I am going to be asked it a lot when I get "back to the Air Force" (done with recruiting). And a few posts back, I was asked the question, so I am going to make an attempt at an answer here.

The question is "insert name here is considering applying to be an Air Force recruiter. What advice do you have?"

First, don't.

That being said, they won't listen to me, I know because I didn't listen to anyone who said that when I was considering it. So knowing that the short answer will be ignored, here is the long answer. Location, location, location. You have a lot of say in where you will be assigned as a recruiter. Start with a political map and aim for red. Go down south and try to get in or very near a large city. There will be more people to talk to and a higher propensity to enlist. The problem is that you may have more people fail the ASVAB. There are pros and cons about every location. Up north the schools are statistically stronger educators. But they are also statistically less likely to enlist. If you are near a city, you will have more people to talk to, which means more disqualified people trying to waste your time. But you don't have to spend an hour and a half driving one way to a high school. In my area, I spend a lot of time behind a steering wheel. I know some people whose farthest school is 15 minutes away. Another big consideration is realizing the difference between finding 2 people a month that want to join the Air Force, and finding 2 people a month who are qualified to join the Air Force. 65% of Americans are overweight. Well, there goes 65% of your population from being qualified. Add in law violations, asthma, other medical issues, and drug use and you start to get an idea.

I personally LOVE talking to people about the Air Force. When I have a young person in my office, and I am telling them about the Air Force and their options, I lose track of time. And that is what everyone pictures when they think of recruiting. Truth be told, that's only about 10% of my job. You are your own secretary and you do all of your own administrative work, from planning, scheduling, documentation, to keeping your office clean and your regulations up to date. For every person that you meet with, there are potentially hours worth of paperwork to do.

You really really need to have an outgoing personality and like to talk.

Another question that sometimes comes up is "Is recruiting different in the Air Force as compared to other branches?"

Yes, and no.

It is different, but an Air Force recruiter has more in common with Army/Navy/Marine recruiters than they do with people that hold a "regular"job in their own service. Recruiting is sales and numbers, and pressure. We don't get it quite as bad as the other services, but it's still not even comparable to the regular Air Force.

Recruiting is the hardest thing I have ever done. Harder than basic training, and harder than deploying.

I have also learned more and grown more in recruiting than I have anywhere else, in any other job. Having been a recruiter puts you on a whole other playing field. You will pick up invaluable skills that will benefit you for the rest of your life. Just remember, location, location, location.
about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits