the Veil is Lifting
November is a month of disillusionment in recruiting. Not for recruiters but for potential leads. You see, college is not for everyone. In fact, only about 50 percent of freshman actually graduate 4 years later, click here to check your college's stats. But. . . almost 100% of high school seniors think that college is for them. And then there's the college freshman. They haven't had their first finals week yet. They haven't gotten their grades back yet. They still have time to cram at the last minute but that last minute is fast approaching. Now here we are in the middle of finals week at most American universities. A lot of those freshman won't be returning in January, and I firmly believe that there is no shame in that (if college truly is not the best thing for them at that time *see note). They could very well be taking a first step in the right direction.
Now please don't assume I'm anti-college, I'm currently pursuing my third degree. I just don't think that 3 walls and a chalkboard for another 4 years is the right environment for a lot of 18 year olds. I also believe that you can achieve those same goals through a non-traditional route, such as joining the Air Force Military.

*I also believe that there are definitely times that someone feels like quitting and should push through that first reality check wakeup call and continue their education. In no way do I think that all freshman dropouts should be commended

** Another issue here is timing. As I mentioned, I'm pursuing higher education, but when I was a 17 year old High School graduate, I knew that going off to college would be making a bad choice. I was mature enough to know that I was too immature for college. I've grown up a little since then, and the timing is now right for me to go after a degree.

What do you think? Do people blindly go to college (13th grade) or are teenagers legitimately researching all of their options to find the one that best suits meeting their goals? If so, why the dropout rates evident on the website I linked to above?
about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits