Respect

Respect is a big deal around our house. If you were a fly on our wall you would hear me reminding Eve or Judah often about talking to each other respectfully, or treating each other with respect. It is a vitally important character trait to have as an adult, and there is no better place for them to learn this than in our home. The problem is that I am still learning about respect, and here I am supposing to be the good role model for my children.

I, lately, have uncovered my need to be more respectful in a cleverly disguised place. Being on time. I hate being late, hate it. So, why am I always late? I have decided it has got to stop. I just know in my heart that punctuality is a sign of respect. Respect for those who you are meeting, and those who are with you. I really have felt convinced that I have been disrespectful to my children, especially Eve, by getting her to her activities late. And I don't want her to grow up remembering that Momma was always late or even thinking that it is okay to be late. Because it is not.

Yesterday morning was my first stab at being on time. Swim lessons for Eve at ten o'clock. Swim lessons that only last for one half of an hour so there is no margin for error. And you know what, I did it. I left my house twenty three minutes early. Unfortunately, in my determination to be on time I forgot to bring a towel to dry my girl off, but Daddy swooped in and saved the day.

I won't always be perfect, but my heart is convinced and I have made this decision: I will be on time as a sign of respect first to my family and to teach my children another way how to live the words I tell them so often.



about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits