Tuesday Recipe - Taco Bake
Hey, it's still Tuesday right?! I had an engagement tonight and I didn't get a chance to snap a photo of this meal before I left. But, between the four of us there is about one quarter of a 9x13 pan of Taco Bake left... it's really good stuff! I also made Schoolhouse Gingerbread which turned out amazing. Moist and so flavorful, although I am wishing I had been home tonight to make some applesauce, or perhaps some maple whipped cream to go along with it.

I would like your opinion - since this is all about you - would you rather have the recipe for a really easy Mexican Rice and Beans casserole (as in can be prepared and in the oven within 10 minutes flat) or a really gooey, sinfully delicious, incredible recipe for Unbaked Chocolate Oatmeal Trash cookies? Just let me know!

Here is the recipe for Taco Bake - remember this is the recipe that made Daniel realize he was truly glad he married me - we do simple, simple delicious food here.

Taco Bake

1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 package of taco seasoning
3 cups bisquick
1 cup milk
1 small green pepper - diced into small pieces
2-3 tomatoes - thinly sliced

Mix together and set aside:

1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheese
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup onion finely chopped ( 1 small onion)


Cook the meat along with the taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Set aside when done.
Mix the bisquick with the 1 cup of milk and press into a 9x13 greased pan. Make sure to press up the sides a bit with the bisquick.
Spread the seasoned meat over the dough.
Sprinkle the green peppers over the meat,then lay the tomatoes over top of the peppers.
Spread the cheese topping over the tomatoes evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until edges start to brown slightly.

Okay, so I never said it was lowfat. I am sure there are ways to decrease the fat content of this meal, but I could never disrespect my Taco Bake in that way. If you can, look past the fat and see the two vegetables, the protein, and two sources of dairy. If you have done that, well then welcome to my world. It is a happy, well fed place to be.

Labels:

about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits