Recipe for Biscuits
I am about as Northern as they come. I was born and raised in New York but then married Daniel and moved to Alaska. Off we went to North Dakota and now I'm living in Vermont. You can plainly see I've got the Northern thing down to a science.

All that being said, when it comes to biscuit making I will happily step aside in respect to a Southern woman who can really make biscuits. But, until that happens, I will give you my pretty much never fails, delicious biscuit recipe.

There are a couple of different ways to make these fluffy creations. I always make my biscuits with heavy cream instead of with the traditional butter and milk. They feel less fattening (please don't take that to mean they are) and are a whole lot quicker to make.

Because I love you, I will provide you with both ways of making the biscuits. I do realize not everyone is like me in my consideration of heavy cream being a refrigerator staple.

Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 - 1 cup heavy cream (or much as needed)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add in the heavy cream until your dough is slightly sticky. Knead on a floured surface 10-15 times to make a soft ball. Roll out to 3/4 inch thickness; cut into biscuits. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet, close together but without touching. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Now, if you want to use butter, substitute the heavy cream with 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup of butter, cut in with a pastry knife. Proceed with the next steps.

The biscuit cutter I use is a small plastic container with fairly sharp edges - highly professional, I know. The important part is that the top of this container is only 2 and a half inches across. I like my biscuits tall and very fluffy. A smaller biscuit will rise higher; choose your biscuit cutter with that in mind. I have used a small juice glass before and it works just fine.

One more thing, this is a basic recipe. You can add thyme and a little sugar to make delicious thyme biscuits, or perhaps some cheddar cheese; your creativity is the only limit.

Please, enjoy this Northern girl's version of a biscuit.

Labels:

about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits