It's Confession Time
I subscribe to the theory: A place for everything and everything in it's place. And, generally speaking, I am a strict follower. I like neat, clean, and tidy. I like straight lines and baskets containing their respective items; I tell my children to pick up before they get more stuff out. I don't do clutter, I don't do piles, I don't do tons of toys (Tarrah can attest to this - she has witnessed, first hand, my crazy minimalist toy approach). I keep a clean house, for the most part.

But, there is one area where I suck.

Wanna know?

Of course you do, I would too if I were you.

My freezer. And, again, Tarrah has witnessed the terrible, chaotic, messiness of my freezer. Surprisingly, she still loves me.

For some strange reason I just can not keep that bad boy organized.

This is how it happens: I'm cooking or baking and I'm in "the zone"... I throw stuff in there every which way so I can keep on going, you know what I'm talking about, right? Well, eventually it turns into a death trap; you know the kind where you have to open the door slowly lest a pound of frozen hamburger falls on your foot and you end up limply around in great pain for a week.

Not that that has ever happened to me or anything.

I've been pondering how I can overcome this awful part of my housekeeping. And just this past weekend I had a revolutionary idea on how to kick my messy freezer habit.

Wanna hear it?

Of course you do, and even if you don't, I'm telling ya anyways. Okay...

It's called the "Organized Messy" approach.

Catchy, don't you think?

Picture example:

IMG_482801

Okay, bad picture but you get the idea. I have the left bottom tub filled with my flours, grains (rice, oatmeal, barley...), yeast, coconut, and the like. The right bottom tub is meat. The top left crate-thingy (10 cents at a garage sale) is chock FULL of spices - labeled and somewhat organized. The top right thingy is fruits and vegetables. On the door shelf is my stash of chocolate.

I was well pleased with my revolutionary idea of the "organized messy" approach. It's not too high of a bar to try to reach and maintain; it allows for the messy - throw things in there so I can keep on truckin'- part of me, yet it keeps my food organized well enough so I can find things quick, and without having to dig around and start growling because I can't find the chocolate chips and have to make something entirely different because I never found them ('til I cleaned out the freezer) - not that that has ever to me happened either.

Anyways... just wanted to get that off my chest. I wish I had thought to take a picture of my freezer before I cleaned it out. It was appalling. But, unfortunately, I wasn't thinking about a blog post with my freezer as the star.

Shocking.

*Post from 1 year ago today: On Marriage
about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits