Free Flowers
IMG_483601

I am a bit obsessed with fresh flowers. I love them; I love the way they brighten up a room and bring a freshness and a vibrancy to my home. But, I hate to spend actual cash on flowers; they just don't last long enough to justify the money. In fact, I have told Daniel... don't buy me cut flowers (not really meaning it completely, I am a woman after all.), I'd rather have a hanging plant that will stay alive. Well, for at least as long as I remember to water it.

IMG_474502

Living in New Mexico has been a wild experience for me in the flower department. Roses abound here; every yard seems to have some sort of rose bush in it. And the roses themselves, their blooming season is long! As in, they are currently blooming with no indication they will be slowing up any time soon. Which is just fine by me. Because I can do this:

IMG_486501

It thrills me to no end to be able to fill vase upon vase with gorgeous, sweet smelling roses. And, the best part is, they're all free. One of the reasons we picked this house was because there is a large number of well established rose bushes on our property. I fully enjoy them outside and in.

It just so happens that a lot of the houses around here are empty and I would feel so badly if their beautiful roses went to waste. It's simply my duty, as a responsible citizen, to cut those roses and give them a good home. I would feel terrible if their beauty went unappreciated.

IMG_485401

I have to admit, it does feel weird to be cutting and enjoying roses in October. It just doesn't seem as though it should be. I'm a true northern girl; for 26 years, when October rolled around, I was wearing sweaters and coats, waiting for the first snow fall, enjoying hot apple cider in a big mug, and complaining about the cold weather. Instead, this year I am cutting beautiful roses, wearing shorts, and leaving my windows open, hoping for a cool breeze.

And enjoying every second of it.

How about you? What are you up to come October? Pumpkins, apple cider, sweaters? Or, perhaps, you're like me... wearing shorts, using air conditioning, and your trees still have leaves.

And, should you have a choice, which would you prefer?

*Post from 1 year ago today: Playing in the leaves

Catching up - from 1 year ago yesterday: Pumpkin Roll Recipe and Eight loaves of bread (Here is the recipe for my bread)
about us
miscellaneous
previous
archives
military
miscellaneous
miscellaneous
post labels
credits